Sunday, October 14, 2012

More of Dublin

On our last two days in Dublin we took full advantage of the good weather. Sunday was beautiful blue skies and Monday was a little cloudy, but not raining. 
We started off Sunday taking the bus to the other side of town. We wanted to go to St. Patricks Cathedral, but being Sunday morning we weren't allowed in during services. So we decided to do what any one in Ireland would do...and go to the Guinness Storehouse and drink some amazing beer.

This is the "Spire of Dublin" which is 398 feet tall.

 While walking to the Guinness Storehouse Liz noticed this halo around the sun. It was beautiful!

 We learned all about the correct way to pour and drink Guinness. I had no idea there was a rule to either of them.
 Me "taking the test."
 After we passed the test, we got our certificates and enjoyed our own poured glass.
It's hard to see here, but this is the correct way to pour.
Step 1:Take a cool, dry, Guinness brand glass.
Step 2: Hold the glass with the label on the opposite side (very important) and at a 45 degree angle under the tap.
Step 3: Pull the handle fully forward towards you. Slowly straighten the glass when it gets 3/4 full. Stop when it gets to the top of the harp on the glass.
Step 4: Leave the surge to settle (picture above) allowing the creamy head to form. 
Step 5: After 90 seconds top off the glass by pushing the handle away from you and stop when the head is proud of the rim.
Step 6: Present the glass always with the logo facing forward.
*It takes 119.5 seconds to pour and serve Guinness correctly.
I thought it was so funny that they are so proud of how the whole procedure is done. But when you have a beer that tastes that good, I guess you can be a little arrogant about it. 
 
On Monday we went to St. Michan's Church. The church has vaults the contain mummified remains under the church.  The walls of the vaults contain limestone, which has kept the air dry, creating ideal conditions for perservation. The bodies are approximately 400 years old. It was a little creepy being down there, but at the same time amazing that the bodies were in the condition they were in. Some bodies still had skin and fingernails/toenails intact. Among the remains are a nun, a 6 and a half foot man who was believed to have been a crusader in the 1798 rebellion. It is good luck to touch the hand of the Crusader...so that is exactly what we did. We gently rubbed his hand-skin and all! At one time when they started to give tours way back you could shake his hand. But over the years some people were too rough and his hand started to fall off. So now we "gently" touch it.

This is the opening to the crypts. 
 These next two pictures were ones I got of wikipedia because we weren't allowed to take pictures. 

 While walking to St. Patricks Cathedral I saw this apartment building with my maiden name on it. Love it!
 Then a little more down the road we saw this sign for Liz. Perfect for Mrs. Green!
St. Patricks Cathedral was founded in 1191. 
It blows my mind every time when I think of how old these cathedrals are. 
1191!
 At each of the seats the cushions were attached. Each one is hand stitched and amazing.
 The beauty of the inside of the church.
Dublin was a great city to see and explore. I loved that they speak english and I wasn't trying to figure out what things were. It is very different for the west coast where I went over 11 years ago. I recommend it to anyone who is thinking about going. Ireland will always hold a special place in my heart.

No comments: