I love this time of year when Christmas celebrations and traditions are in full bloom all around. Germany is big on St. Nikolaus Day which is celebrated on December 6th.
St. Nikolaus (who the Germans call Weihnachtsmann or Father Christmas) is a way to remember the death of the bishop Nicholas. He was a Greek Christian bishop known for miracles and giving gifts secretly. The custom of putting out boots began because St. Nikolaus had a reputation for leaving secret gifts in people shoes overnight. So, going along with tradition, Jackson and Grace put one boot outside the front door in hopes of waking up the next morning to see if St. Nikolaus had filled their boots. If the children had been naughty then he fills their boots with sticks instead of candy or other treats. Luckily our kids are always good...just kidding...but they are great kids!
After the boots were brought in from the cold, this is what they found.
We even had a special treat of more boots (in the middle) for the kids from our sweet german neighbors. With a note saying, "Nikolaus brought some sweets fro the good kids, Grace and Jackson." Shhh...don't tell the kids!
For dinner that night we went to a restaurant with a few people that Jason works with for a yummy buffet and a visit from the man himself, Santa. The kids were so excited! This Santa looked like the real deal! I know our days are numbered as Jackson gets older so we are enjoying seeing that joy come out. Although there have been a few times that I have been asked, "Is Santa real?" And I don't say anything else but, "What do you think?" And just leave it at that. I know our years...months...days are numbered...
It is a great tradition that have started in our family that will continue for years and hopefully the kids will continue with their children one day.





No comments:
Post a Comment