Monday, September 6, 2010

Half Marathon in Budapest

Wow...is all I can say about Budapest!
When my friend, Rebekah, first asked me if I wanted to run in a half marathon I thought it would a great challenge for me. I was slacking in the exercise department and needed a goal to work towards. I started a 15 week half marathon training program (Hal Higdon's) and got the ball rolling. The training was hard, but ended up being fun for me. I truly enjoyed getting out and running which is something I really never thought I would do. I loved being able to finish a run (even a big one towards the end) and feel my "runners high."
We looked into driving just to save money, but after seeing that it was over 13 hours we decided to fly. I know, smart choice with 4 adults and 3 kids, right?! So, we flew out with our friends, The Sechrists, on a Thursday night and had two full days of sight seeing before the race day on Sunday. The weather was gorgeous on Friday. We took a 3 1/2 hour (10 mile) bike tour around the city to see the main attractions. It was a perfect way to see them without having to do all the walking. On Saturday we walked to the Jewish synagoge, Opera House, the castle district on the Buda side as well as many other places. We were exhausted and knew we needed to save much of our energy for the race the next morning so we headed out and went back to the apartment we rented. We stayed in a perfect location and would definitely stay there again.
Sunday...race day! The weather could not of been more perfect for the race. Mid to upper 60's, sunny and not a cloud in the sky. I couldn't believe how many people were there and the race center. We heard they broke the record f0r entries to the race to well above 6000 people from all over the world. As the start time got closer I was getting less nervous and more excited to just run! The first few kilometers were a little on the slow side, but then after that I just decided to take in the beautiful scenery around me and just enjoy myself. I didn't want to get behind the 2:15:00 pace guy so I felt good as long as I didn't see him. I didn't go into the race with a goal time to finish...I just wanted to finish the race. The run started in Heroes Square on the Pest side and we made our way over the bridge to the Buda side for what seemed most of the run. By about kilometer marker 16 I was getting tired and just wanted to be done. But it's funny how adrenaline kicks in and at the 20 marker I sprinted to the finish line. I can't tell you the emotions that came over me as I crossed the line. I was so excited to be done and happy to say I completed 21 kilometers! I am happy to say I ran the whole time. I didn't even stop when I got water or glucose. ;-) My time according to my chip as 2:12:44...whoo-hoo!!!
The rest of the afternoon we just took it easy and went to the Turkish baths which were amazing. From the pictures below you can see how unique the place was. The best part was being treated to the best foot massage I have ever had.
We finished off the night with 2...okay...maybe 3 bottles of wine between the 4 of us. Gotta love Hungarian wine!
If you have ever thought about making a trip to Budapest I highly recommend it. It is a beautiful place that holds a special place in my heart.

Rebekah and I after we completed the race.
Just finished!

Hanging out before the race began.
Szechenyi Bath (Turkish Bath House) Where the race began.
The day before the race while they were setting up. Jason, Rebekah and I were ready!
The Hungarian Parliament
The second largest Parliament in Europe after the one in London.
I think this was Jackson's favorite part of the trip...seeing Darth Vador and the Storm trooper.
So apparently it's good luck to touch the horses's you-know-what. Don't judge...everyone did it!
I had to put this one on here. If only I could explain what was going on in this picture. This one definitely speaks for itself!
Fisherman's Bastion on the Buda side
From the Buda side overlooking the Danube River to the Pest side.
I just love the tiles on the roof. So unique!
St. Stephen's Basilica
The Turkish bath house
Can you see why we loved it so much? This pool was like a giant hot tub. In the building on the other side was about 20 other baths of all sorts of temperatures. The kids loved it!
Our bike tour we took on Friday.
Near the Anonymos statue area.
Jak Chapel
This was a common thing for Cole and Grace. So sweet...
Heroes Square

They were such good kids during the trip. They have turned into quite the European travelers!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Great post, Emily! I am so proud of you! Love that you included the horse picture....gotta keep it real! :)