Sunday, December 5, 2010

AJ's Field Trip to Kronbuchhutte

This past Friday Jackson's class went on a field trip hike in another village to the Kronbuchhutte. All parents were invited to go and participate. Since Jason just had surgery I was so excited that I could go on the adventure with him. The kronbuchhutte is a little hut of a restaurant in the middle of the forest where we ate lunch and the adults drank glühwein and the kids had kinder punch.
The day started off a little crazy. I had everything packed and our clothes laid out the night before so all we had to do was get up and go for the day. But thanks to the snowy weather the night before it took a little longer than I thought to drop Grace off at the sitter. So we missed the 8:30 hike with the older kids. I met up with another mom and we tried our best to find the other spot where the 9:30 group was leaving from, but all the directions were in german, so we were a little lost to say the least. Thankfully we found someone who was shoveling his sidewalk and he told us where it was. It was a beautiful day with fresh fallen snow all over the place. The temperature read -8.5 degrees Celsius in my car...yikes! It was cold, but we had many layers on to keep us warm. Off we went up to the hut. The hike was about 15-20 minutes through the woods in absolutely gorgeous trails. As soon as we got there St. Nicolas was there to greet the kids and hand them a stocking of goodies. (Side note...On December 6th the children here in Germany put a boot outside their front door and wake up the next morning with goodies filled by St. Nicolas. It’s a fun tradition we have started in our family.) We got inside of the hut and I almost felt like I was in a storybook. Here was this hut stuck in the middle of the forest with yummy food to eat and I swear it was the best glühwein I have ever had to drink! After the kids had their fill of inside we all went outside to enjoy the beautiful day. I am so thankful for the experience that Jackson is having at his German kindergarten. I think it is so good for him in so many ways! I love being able to be a part of his cultural experience and doing the fun things that he does on a daily basis.
What a fun, memorable day for the two of us!!

We finally found it!
The hutte.
The trail we hiked on to get to the hut.
St. Nikolas giving Jackson and Ian a bag of goodies.
Enjoying a warm mug of kinder punch.
Now it's time for the sausages and brotchen.
The three musketeers!
The babies were bundled up on the sleds. I just love that!
The first entrance to the hutte.
Jackson eating snow.
Gorgeous!

I love the blue skies behind the snow covered branches.
Breathtaking!

No comments: